J.D., University of Washington School of Law, 1968
B.A., University of Washington, Accounting, 1965
Listed in The Best Lawyers in America, 1987- 2015
Listed in Super Lawyers, Washington Law & Politics, 2003-2017
Lawyer of the Year- Seattle Tax Litigation & Controversy, Best Lawyers in America, 2013
WSBA Tax Section Stouder Award Recipient for professional achievement and professionalism, 2016
Armed with more than four decades of experience in tax controversies and tax litigation, Darrell is a passionate and formidable advocate for his clients. Darrell’s unique and impressive background and years of experience inform his approach to every case. Darrell has successfully represented clients in court at all levels, including successfully arguing before the Supreme Court of the United States, and has served as expert in civil and criminal cases on tax issues.
Before co-founding Colvin + Hallett nearly thirty five years ago, Darrell was a Trial Attorney with the Department of Justice Tax Division, a Senior Trial Attorney with the Internal Revenue Service’s Office of Chief Counsel, and a Special Assistant United States Attorney. Darrell was then appointed to serve as Special Trial Judge with the United States Tax Court, where he heard and decided more than 350 cases.
A trusted authority on tax law, Darrell has been a faculty member of the Graduate School of Taxation for the University of Washington School of Law and also served as an instructor for the Golden Gate University Graduate School of Taxation.
Darrell is an avid outdoorsman and spends much of his free time hiking or boating. He is also a dedicated runner and manages to make time for a run nearly daily. Darrell’s three beloved dogs accompany him on all of his adventures.
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, member
- Federal Bar Association, member
Presentations + Publications
- Federal Tax Controversies, Seminar Group, 2014
- Beavers, Billionaires, (alleged) Drug Dealers, and Supersonics-My Path, Eastern Washington University, 2014
- Civil Penalty Considerations: During and After the Criminal Investigation, ABA National Institute on Criminal Tax Fraud, 2010
- Expert Testimony on “Legal Matters” and Psychological Conditions in Tax Cases, ABA National Institute on White Collar Crime, 2009
- Defending Criminal Tax Fraud, ABA National Institute on White Collar Crime, 2009
- Before Referral to Criminal Investigation: Handling a Civil “Eggshell Audit,” ABA National Institute on White Collar Crime, 2009
- Representing the Client Prior to and During a Criminal Investigation: Defense Tactics during IRS Administrative and Grand Jury Investigations, ABA National Institute on Criminal Tax Fraud, 2009
- Restitution in Tax Cases, ABA National Institute on Criminal Tax Fraud, 2008
- Money Laundering: Core Concepts and Current Developments, ABA National Institute on Criminal Tax Fraud, 2008
- Prosecution & Defense of Money Laundering Cases, ABA National Institute on Criminal Tax Fraud, 2007